Sunday 28 March 2010

Perhaps inadviseable company

As a child I remembered glimpses of this film but never the full story. It was only as I got older that I found a VHS of it on eBay. Remember the days when not every film was available to DVD or the net? Needless to say it came out for region 2 in 2005.

I'll admit the film is not to every ones tastes - most people I've shown it to don't really appreciate it. I've found that's the case for the majority of my most loved films, and I'm secure in my decision that sometimes in life things are more special if you enjoy them alone. This will be why I enjoy watching films more on my own.

To get back to the point, The Company of Wolves (1984) is based around Angela Carter's collection of shorts stories entitled The Bloody Chamber (1979). More specifically the short stories; 'The Bloody Chamber', 'Wolf-Alice' and 'The Werewolf.' The story centres around Rosaleen as 'Little Red' and her lose of innocence in a quest to become to shed her child.

Although never mentioned in the final version of the film, a trailer for the realise in the US hints the Rosaleen is 12 and three quarters years old. Sarah Paterson was 12 when she played the lead giving her a very nymphet quality in the film.

I love the use of Angela Lansbury as the grandmother, am mesmerized by Micha Bergese's eyebrows and how unforgettable Terrance Stamp is as the devil. Apparently Neil Jordan had wanted Andy Warhol to play the devil originally. In my opinion although Warhol would have made an amazing devil, his fame would have tainted the film.

I would and still will recommend the film but as stated know one else really gets it so I guess I'm alone on this one.




No comments:

Post a Comment