Tuesday 31 January 2012

Memories Were Trapped Inside the Asphalt



Bapa Closed His Heart, It Was Over



This Unhinged Her



Howling Like Dogs, I Swallowed Solid Air




Memories Were Trapped Inside the Asphalt




Shadows and Disturbances, taken from her 2007 Turner Prize nomination.

On Saturday I was given the task of suggesting an exhibition to go to with some of my friends. My choice was heavily based on a lack of funds, an urge to go somewhere I had never been before and the proximity of a certain beigel shop!

My choice? Zarina Bhimiji at the Whitechapel Gallery. Bhimiji’s work documents (among other things) abandoned buildings throughout India and East Africa. The photographs alone would be enough to get me there. What I had not been expecting was her film Yellow Patch. The film documents a number of buildings in India, as well as an abandoned harbour, all to a haunting soundtrack of the voices that are no longer there.

The exhibition runs until 9th March. You can view the film yourself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment