Friday 15 January 2010

Top 5... Instrumentals

This one is a toughie for me and thus I've spent a lot of time thinking about it. Although this is a list of my top 5 not all of these would make it into my top 5 soundtracks. I've been ruthless - nothing with lyrics made it into the cut. Neither did any from films made within the last few years (if they were aloud then Carter Burwell's score for In Bruges would make things problematic) That said please don't judge me if there is dialogue in the videos!


Come in at Number 5 (I had to have a bit of anime love) so I have chosen Joe Hisanishi's Theme to Princess Mononoke. Hishanishi has worked on a number of Miyazaki's films and it worth checking him out if you love the films as much as I do!




Number 4 a solid favourite and forever visualising Japan for me is Air's Alone in Kyoto. Commissioned by Sophia Coppola to work on the soundtrack for Lost in Translation this was their own contribution.



In at number 3 has be a classic in my mind. Nelle Hooper's contribution to Baz Luhrmann's 1996 hit Romeo and Juliet is breathtaking and reminds me of my teenage day's. Morning Breaks is perhaps my favourite of his compositions from the film. More so then any other due to the bird song at the beginning.



In at number 2 has to be Yann Tiersenn for his truly breathtaking soundtrack to Amelie. Tiersenn is on my list of people I want to see before I die. I'm equally in love with Summer 78 from the film Good Bye Lenin but as I put that up on a earlier post I thought it would be poor taste to put it up again. So instead we have Comptine d'un autre été - L'après-midi (my second most played song on my i Tunes)



And in first place...

Drum roll please...

Only the musical genius that is Ennio Morricone with Il Tramonto.

I will let this one speak for itself:

No comments:

Post a Comment